What makes a strong human antagonist?
Prompted by a listener (and patron of the podcast) question, Stu and Chas dive into antagonistic forces. And because Draft Zero does not do anything by halves, this is Part One of a Five Part Epic Exploration™ into antagonists; namely: vs humans, vs self, vs nature/supernatural, vs systems and “other”. aka the classic narrative conflicts.
For this “vs humans” part, we chose to look at DIE HARD, MISERY and THREE BILLBOARDS OUTSIDE OF EBBING, MISSOURI (with special mentions to THE DARK KNIGHT, LA LA LAND and – of course – STAR WARS). In particular, we look at some classical villains, internal vs external antagonists, and how antagonists and protagonists can swap roles over a scene or a sequence.
As always: SPOILERS ABOUND
Audio quotations used for educational purposes only. Timestamps indicated below. Chapter markers included in the mp3. Watch it on YouTube: https://youtu.be/MddAQ7h9LoU
Special thanks to our Patreon supporters. If you would like more Draft Zero episodes more often, click here!
Read the computerised transcript here: http://draft-zero.com/transcripts/dz-49-transcript/
Or edit it on our GitHub: https://github.com/Draft-Zero-Podcast/dz-transcripts/blob/master/DZ-49.vtt
- DRAFT ZERO RELATED EPISODES
- ANTAGONISTS OVERVIEW
- READ: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boss_(video_gaming)
- READ: Different kinds of antagonistic forces? (for draft zero episode)
- READ: How can I create meaningful conflict for my characters without a physical antagonist?
- READ: There was a post the other day about making villains ‘deep’, I got distracted/carried away with my comment but thought it might be fun to still discuss it.
- WATCH: Movie Villains Done Right
- DIE HARD screenplay: Jeb Stuart and Steven E. de Souza [@ 12m 27s]
- MISERY screenplay: William Goldman [@ 24m 34s]
- THE DARK KNIGHT story: Christopher Nolan & David S. Goyer screenplay: Jonathan Nolan & Christopher Nolan [@ 40m 12s]
- THREE BILLBOARDS OUTSIDE OF EBBING, MISSOURI w&d: Martin McDonagh [@ 45m 32s]
- LA LA LAND w&d: Damien Chazelle [@ 1hr 11m 30s]
- WRAP UP [@ 1hr 14m 33s]
Please considering rating or subscribing to us on Apple Podcast! or sharing us on the Social Medias! We like finding new listeners.
Many thanks to Sandra, Paul, Rob, Christopher, Joakim and Khrob for being top-level patrons. They’re good human antagonists.