How do systems pressure your characters to change?
This is Part Four (!!) of our Five Part Epic Exploration into antagonists forces and sources of conflict. In this episode we explore “system/world/society” antagonists. While stereotypically associated with science-fiction, these sources of conflict are found across genres.
To that end, we talk MINORITY REPORT, DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES, MUDBOUND, and THE LOBSTER – with a special mention of high school movies.
We continue refining our tools surrounding antagonists/sources of conflict: obstacles, pressure, enablers, pushers, pullers, education and thwarting. We especially focus on how the pressures of the system/world/society force characters to either submit to the system, overthrow it or escape it; and how framing all of your characters’ journeys in relation to the rules of the world they inhabit can lead to a thematically strong story.
As always: SPOILERS ABOUND!
Special thanks to our Patreon supporters. If you would like more Draft Zero episodes more often, click here!
- DRAFT ZERO RELATED EPISODES
- INTRODUCTION: vs Society
- MINORITY REPORT scplay by Scott Frank and Jon Cohen [@ 6m 50s]
- DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES w: Mark Bomback and Rick Jaffa & Amanda Silver [@ 36m 49s]
- MUDBOUND scplay: Virgil Williams and Dee Rees [@ 53m 31s]
- THE LOBSTER w: Yorgos Lanthimos & Efthymis Filippou [@ 1h 30m 43s]
- SYSTEMS AND GENRES [@ 2h 01m 02s]
- WRAP UP & KEY LEARNINGS [@ 2hr 05m 30s]
Please considering rating or subscribing to us on Apple Podcast! or sharing us on the Social Medias! We like finding new listeners.
Many thanks to Murirb, Sandra, Paul, Rob, Christopher, Joakim and Khrob for being top-level patrons. They’re good humans.