Can the introduction of a character be so good that the character doesn’t need describing?
Stu and Chas argue about different techniques for introducing characters and whether character descriptions are even necessary. This is important for writers, as we only have words to compensate for the whole range of cinematic expression. And so Chas and Stu explore techniques like introducing characters through action, having other people discuss the character first, ensuring the introduction represents the character’s goal/flaw/theme, and many more.
The scripts Stu and Chas tackle are… [takes a deep breath]… PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: THE CURSE OF THE BLACK PEARL, BLADE, THE DARK KNIGHT, the BREAKING BAD pilot, GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO, BLADE RUNNER, CHILDREN OF MEN, THE WRESTLER, THE SIXTH SENSE, MISS CONGENIALITY, LOCK STOCK & TWO SMOKING BARRELS, AMELIE, THE WOLF OF WALL STREET, FIGHT CLUB, ROCKY, JAWS, CABIN IN THE WOODS, and [mutters under breath] STAR WARS.
Is that it? Probably missed some. Bugger. Oh well. Have a listen and let us know.
- PIRATES OF THE CARRIBEAN: CURSE OF THE BLACK PEARL by Ted Elliott & Terry Rossio
- BLADE by David S. Goyer
- Youtube: Blade Opening Scene
- THE DARK KNIGHT by Jonathan Nolan and Christopher Nolan (story by Christopher Nolan & David S. Goyer)
- Youtube: The Dark Knight Bank Robbery Scene
- BREAKING BAD Pilot by Vince Gilligan
- THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO by Steve Zaillian
- THE WRESTLER by Rob Siegel
- THE SIXTH SENSE by M. Knight Shyamalan
- Youtube: Miss Congeniality Opening
- BLADE RUNNER by Hampton Fancher and David Peoples
- CHILDREN OF MEN by Alfonso Cuarón & Timothy Sexton
- Youtube: Children of Men Opening
- JAWS by Carl Gottlieb and Peter Benchley
- AMELIE by Jean-Pierre Jeunet (transcribed and translated – not original screenplay)
- Youtube: Introduction of Amelie’s parents (in French, no subtitles)
- FIGHT CLUB by Jim Uhls
- LOCK STOCK & TWO SMOKING BARRELS by Guy Ritchie
- CABIN IN THE WOODS by Drew Goddard and Joss Whedon
- THE WOLF OF WALL STREET by Terence Winter
- Youtube: Wolf of Wall Street Opening Scene
- TAXI DRIVER by Paul Schrader
- Chas Fisher: Seem vs Seen
- Jane Espenson: That’s ‘jack-assity’, not Jack Cassidy
- DGA Quarterly: Picturing Life – The DGA Interview: David O’Russell
- John August: How to introduce a character
Please send feedback to ask at draft-zero.com. Please considering rating us on iTunes!