Will Director Stu allow Writer Chas on his set?
Following our annual wrap up in 2017, we’ve decided to once again explore what craft issues/lessons we can garner from the latest Stars, namely Episode VIII: The Last Jedi, focusing on how consequences of character actions can do a lot of heavy lifting as to how the audience perceives that character (as well as looking at worldview and overall story structure).
We also discuss how the sexual assault allegations in our industry can impact on what work we choose to analyse as well as dive into a bunch of listener questions.
We end on whether – if our space pirates project gets off the ground – Chas should come on set, whether Stu will have him and whether it would do anyone any good.
As always: SPOILERS ABOUND
Audio quotations used for educational purposes only. Timestamps indicated below. Chapter markers included in the mp3.
Special thanks to our Patreon supporters. If you would like more Draft Zero episodes more often, click here!
- THE LAST JEDI w & d Rian Johnson [@ 1m 28s]
- SEXUAL ASSAULT ALLEGATIONS & DRAFT ZERO HOMEWORK POLICIES [@ 29m 07s]
- YouTube: Rose McGowan speaks publicly in Detroit, first time since Weinstein allegations
- The New Yorker coverage of the Weinstein allegations:
- Commentary from collaborators with Harvey Weinstein
- Rolling Stone/Joyce Che: Kevin Smith is Donating his Residuals to Women in Film
- The Guardian: Tarantino on Weinstein
- Our Lady J: ‘Transparent’ Writer Says Jeffrey Tambor Accusers Told “Their Truth” & Series Should Not “Be Taken Down” By Actor
- LISTENER QUESTIONS [@ 52m 28s]
- Fiona: When do you reveal a secret in a story?
- Khrob: Can Blockbusters escape the ROTJ 3rd Act “problem”?
- Khrob: Best Writing Moment of 2017?
- Dexter: Would you be open to a draft zero commentary with a movie?
- Thomas: Could you please do an episode on Linklater?
- Susie: How do I move from the 2nd into the 3rd Act without it being so sudden?
- César: What are the best scripts you’ve ever read?
- César: Do you write scenes in the order they’re in the script?
- César: What are the biggest differences in writing movies & tv shows?
- Mendoza: Let me tell you why you’re wrong about SPLIT. In four parts.
- Sunday: What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever been given about writing?
- Sunday: How did you transition from short form to long form writing?
- Sunday: How do you, as a Director, work with a writing partner?
- Evrim: Do you find short online form (web series) restrictive or liberating?
- WRAP UP [@ 1hr 48m 21s]
- What have Stu & Chas Been Working On?
- Should Chas Come To Set?
- (Post Credits) Thomas schools us on our pronunciation.
Please considering rating or subscribing to us on Apple Podcast! or sharing us on the Social Medias! We like finding new listeners.
Thanks to Khrob, Joakim and Christopher for being patrons. They’re good people. Sorry Christopher that you didn’t get a shout-out in the episode but hopefully this note immortalised in the very bottom of the show notes demonstrates how much we appreciate ja!