How can scene transitions do more than just move from one location to another?
Stu and Chas look at one of the basic building blocks of a script: scene transitions. Transitions don’t just move you from one scene to another in a slick way, they can help you compress time, enhance thematic connections, unify different story threads, orient (or disorient) your reader… and just make your script feel more like a movie.
To help us see how scenes connect & collide in interesting ways, we take a close look at scripts of films with great transitions to see how much of the work was done by the writer (as opposed to the director or editor): SCOTT PILGRIM VS THE WORLD, HIGHLANDER, AMERICAN SPLENDOR and BOYHOOD.
And then, in backmatter we take a self-reflective look at TIME MANAGEMENT (and naps).
Oh, we are also holding a LIVE EPISODE of Draft Zero at the 2015 St Kilda Film Festival. May 25, 8pm. More details shortly!
- David Bordwell: http://www.davidbordwell.net
- Scriptnotes: Ep89 – Writing effective transitions
- The Writer’s Binder: 8 Ways to Hook The Reader by Karl Iglesias
- 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY by Stanley Kubrick & Arthur C. Clarke
- SCOTT PILGRIM VS THE WORLD by Edgar Wright and Michael Bacall
- HIGHLANDER Screenplay by Peter Bellwood & Larry Ferguson and Gregory Widen, Story by Gregory Widen
- YouTube: Highlander (1986) – Trailer
- AMERICAN SPLENDOR by Robert Pulcini & Shari Springer Berman
- BOYHOOD by RICHARD LINKLATER
- Kevin B. Lee : Who Deserves the 2015 Oscar for Best Director?
- Zak Forsman: Are You Thinking About Your Transitions?
- Screenwriting.io: What is a pre-lap?
- The Next Web: The Secret To Insane Productivity? Will Power
- Go Into the Story: Twitter Rant: Eric Heisserer on Procrastination, Precrastination and Productivity in Writing
- The Write Practice: 23 Essential Quotes from Ernest Hemingway About Writing
- Brain Pickings: The Daily Routines of Great Writers
- The Guardian: Rise and shine: the daily routines of history’s most creative minds
- Paul Graham: How To Do What You Love
- Fast Company: How To Be Prolific: Guidelines for Getting it Done by Joss Whedon
- Have Desert First – Joss Whedon
- iView: Redesign my Brain with Todd Sampson
- YouTube: Redesign my Brain – Series Trailer
- Denvog: Index Card for iPhone and Index Card for iPad
- Short of the Week: Deeper than Yesterday
- Pozible: Real Lust, Inc
- Phil Lemon: One Little Goat
- St Kilda Film Festival – Forums Throughout the Week
Please considering rating us on iTunes! or sharing us on the Social Medias!