INT. EPISODE 2 – MORNING
Do the biggest original films of 2013 follow more archetypal – or formulaic – structures?
After analysing awards-nominated screenplays, Stu and Chas turn to the original screenplays that struck it biggest at the box office in 2013: GRAVITY and FROZEN. Do bigger films stick more closely to the archetypal story structures espoused by Vogler and Snyder?
We start discussing GRAVITY at around 7’33” and FROZEN at 54’40”, though discussion does skip back-and-forth at times.
- GRAVITY screenplay by Alfonso Cuarón & Jonas Cuarón
- KCRW’s The Business Podcast with Alfonso Cuarón
- KCRW’s The Business Podcast with David Heyman
- Framestore’s jaw-dropping Gravity Show and Tell (YouTube)
- Gravity from Script to Screen Featurette (YouTube)
- FROZEN screenplay by Jennifer Lee
- KCRW’s The Business Podcast – Jennifer Lee and Kristen Anderson-Lopez
- The Q&A Podcast with Jeff Goldsmith – Frozen
- Scriptnotes Podcast – Frozen with Jennifer Lee
- Excerpt of Shane Black from The Q&A with Jeff Goldsmith – Iron Man 3 – quoted under Fair Use. Not covered by our CC license.
- Allen Palmer on Where he Disagrees with the Hero’s Journey and his suggested Hero’s Inner Journey.
- Christopher Booker’s The Seven Basic Plots has overlap with the Hero’s Journey and The Monomyth.
Please send feedback to ask at draft-zero.com.