What is difference between choice and decision when it comes to audience experience?
In our second part of our “series” on Choices & Decisions, we take a deep dive into THE FAREWELL and WRATH OF MAN, with a sidebar on NOMADLAND.
In THE FAREWELL, we consider how the choice/decision to lie underpins every sene of the film (to great effect).
In NOMADLAND, we consider how using choice and decision is a great way to show how a character doesn’t change.
And in WRATH OF MAN, we look at how non-linear narrative – and its decoupling of choice, decisions and consequence (wouldn’t that be a detripling???) impacts the audience experience, especially how we feel about characters.
The terminology we settled on in Part 1 was:
- CHOICE: Are the options presented to the character.
- DECISION: Is the knowing consideration of the choice and resulting action.
- CONSEQUENCE: is the resulting outcome from the choice.
As always: SPOILERS ABOUND
Audio quotations used for educational purposes only. Timestamps indicated below. Chapter markers included in the mp3.
Thanks to Chris for editing this episode.
- 00:00:00 – Intro
- 00:01:38 – Decisions & Choices Recap
- 00:03:41 – The Farewell
- 00:28:58 – Nomadland
- 00:37:39 – Wrath of Man
- 01:36:54 – Wrap Up & Key Learnings
- 01:45:06 – Backmatter
- DZ-34: Game of Choices – Decision Making and Character Implications
- DZ-48: One-Shot – Blade Runner 2049 – Agency vs Choice
- DZ-84: Choices & Decision 1 – Booksmart
This episode brought to you by ScriptUp – https://www.scriptupstudio.com – use promo code DZ10 to get 10% off.
Thanks to all our patrons, especially Thomas, Garrett, Bjorn, Randy, Jesse, Theis, Sandra, and Khrob.
Please considering rating or subscribing to us on Apple Podcasts or sharing us on the Social Medias! We like finding new listeners. We are @stuwillis and @chasffisher on twitter. And you can find @draft_zero on Instagram and Twitter.