How can you do powerful storytelling… without dialogue?
Stu and Chas are joined by filmmaker, podcaster and writer Matthew Brown to deep dive into FURY ROAD and its astounding visual storytelling, both on the page and on screen. We talk about setups and payoffs, given circumstances, image systems, environmental storytelling, and how the relationship between Furiosa and Max is built over the course of the story with very little dialogue (besides Tom Hardy’s grunts and the odd bellow of “MEDIOCRE!”).
As always: SPOILERS ABOUND
Audio quotations used for educational purposes only. Timestamps indicated below. Chapter markers included in the mp3.
- 00:00:00 Intro: Fury Road & Visual Storytelling
- 00:01:07 Why Fury Road?
- 00:06:17 World Building & Given Circumstances
- 00:23:19 World Building & Plot Points
- 00:30:50 Setups & Payoffs
- 00:35:03 Who is the Protagonist?
- 00:35:08 Max & Furiosa’s Arc
- 01:00:44 Stray Observations
- 01:05:28 Wrap Up
- FOLLOW: Matt Brown – @tederick on twitter, or buy his book at tederick.com/furyroad
- READ: Cinephillia and Beyond – In Search of Our Better Selves: The Rebirth, Redemption and Road Warriors of George Miller’s ‘Mad Max: Fury Road’
- WATCH: Mad Max: Fury Road
- READ: The Art of Mad Max Max Fury Road
- DZ-33: Protagonist vs Hero – Dawn of Character Function
- DZ LiVE Ep3 – Watchmen – The Comic, The Movie & The Show
Many thanks to all our patrons but particularly to Stuart, Jack, Chris, Khrob, and Sandra. They’re good humans.
Please considering rating or subscribing to us on Apple Podcasts or sharing us on the Social Medias! We like finding new listeners. We are @stuwillis and @chasffisher on twitter. And you can find @draft_zero on Instagram and Twitter.
LINKS @ http://linktr.ee/draftzero
BUY DRAFT ZERO MERCH via TeePublic