What can we learn from folk horror?
Draft Zero return with their next YouTube livestream! Stu and Chas are joined by previous guest (and successful screenwriter) C.S. McMullen for a deep dive into MIDSOMMAR! We analyse the film through the lens of Folk Horror, but tackle broader topics such as horror vs dread, rising tension, transgressions, unfilmables, and portraying toxic relationships.
You can also watch the recorded live stream on YouTube.
As always: SPOILERS ABOUND
Audio quotations used for educational purposes only. Timestamps indicated below. Chapter markers included in the mp3.
- 00:00:00 Intro: Misommar & Folk Horror
- 00:00:15 Why Midsommar?
- 00:03:54 What makes horror “folk”?
- 00:18:20 The First Ritual
- 00:32:17 Transgressions
- 01:07:32 Grief & The Ending
- 01:23:18 The May Queen
- 01:40:04 Wrap Up & An Exercise
- Listen: DZ-60: Unfilmables 1 – Engaging imagination
- Listen: DZ-61: Unfilmables 2 – Moments of Awe
- Listen: DZ-62: Unfilmables 3 – As Ifs & Emotional context
Many thanks to all our patrons but particularly to Stuart, Jack, Chris, Khrob, and Sandra. They’re good humans.
Please considering rating or subscribing to us on Apple Podcasts or sharing us on the Social Medias! We like finding new listeners. We are @stuwillis and @chasffisher on twitter. And you can find @draft_zero on Instagram and Twitter.
LINKS @ http://linktr.ee/draftzero
BUY DRAFT ZERO MERCH via TeePublic