How does Joker use melodramatic techniques to elevate its storytelling?
Draft Zero return with their next YouTube livestream! Stu and Chas take a deep dive into JOKER and analyse the film through the story paradigm of melodrama. Is it a melodrama? Why or why not does that matter? And does that influence how it has been written on the page?
They then answer listeners questions on JOKER and more.
If you want to listen in on the next live recording, find details here: https://www.patreon.com/posts/dz-livesolation-35770237 and/or subscribe to us on YouTube via http://www.draft-zero.com/YouTube
If you want to watch along instead of listen, you can watch on YouTube: https://youtu.be/pcMKhzJ1LkM
Audio quotations used for educational purposes only. Timestamps indicated below. Chapter markers included in the mp3.
- 00:00:00 – Intro: Joker & Melodrama
- 00:01:42 – What is Melodrama?
- 00:16:47 – Why Joker?
- 00:23:25 – Is Joker a Melodrama?
- 00:24:40 – Father & Son
- 00:28:00 – Penny Fleck’s confession
- 00:41:30 – What is it like to be powerless?
- 00:54:35 – Bathroom Dancing
- 01:01:12 – The Joker Born
- 01:15:04 – Arthur Stands Up
- 01:28:42 – Listener Questions
- Read: Slap Happy Larry – Tips for Writing Melodrama
- Read: Joker by Todd Phillips & Scott Silver
- Watch: Joker (2019)
DZ RELATED EPISODES
Many thanks to all our patrons but particularly to Theis, Jack, Chris, Khrob, Sandra, and Matteo. They’re good humans.
Please considering rating or subscribing to us on Apple Podcasts or sharing us on the Social Medias! We like finding new listeners. We are @stuwillis and @chasffisher on twitter. And you can find @draft_zero on Instagram and Twitter.
LINKS @ http://linktr.ee/draftzero
BUY DRAFT ZERO MERCH via TeePublic