How can you let your characters tell us how they feel?
In watching Season 7 (and the first three episodes of Season 8) of Game of Thrones, Stu noticed that there were lots of scenes where characters either met for the first time or were reunited after a long time apart. In these scenes, the audience knows (or thinks they know) more than either character. And so the fascination, power and subversion comes from what the characters choose to reveal… or not.
And yet… while we thought this episode would be an extension of our previous musings on exposition, in nearly every great scene we assessed, the characters basically said “screw talking about plot or backstory” and instead exposited about their character. How it feels to be them. How they have, or have not, changed.
And so this episode unexpectedly but rewardingly pivoted to learnings on how to set up and sell character exposition.
As always: SPOILERS ABOUND and all copyright material used under fair use for educational purposes.
- GAME OF THRONES & EXPOSITION [@ 00:01:10]
- SCENES CONVEYING PRE-EXISTING FACTS
- CONTRASTING SCENES WITH AND WITHOUT CHARACTER ACTION
- STARK SIBLING REUNION SCENES
- CHARACTER MONOLOGUING
- BRAN VS MEERA AT WINTERFELL [@ 01:33:06]
- YouTube: https://youtu.be/i-SiYKyFm2I
- LEARNINGS [@ 01:37:14]
- EDUCATION & THWARTING [@ 01:40:13]
- Previous DZ episodes
- Read: AV Club: As new spreads, Westeros reckons with the cumulative absurdity of Game of Thrones – https://tv.avclub.com/as-news-spreads-westeros-reckons-with-the-cumulative-a-1798194760
- Listen: Terry Rossio on the On the Page Podcast: https://podtail.com/en/podcast/on-the-page-screenwriting/457-terry-wrossio/
- Watch: Find Game of Thrones on JustWatch: https://www.justwatch.com/au/tv-show/game-of-thrones
Please considering rating or subscribing to us on Apple Podcasts! or sharing us on the Social Medias! We like finding new listeners.
Many thanks to all our patrons but particularly to Chris, Khrob, Sandra, Nick, Rob and new supporters Matteo, Daniel and Carrie. They’re good humans.
BUY DRAFT ZERO MERCH via TeePublic