What can be gleamed from the substantial rewrite of a famed spec?
Stu and Chas look at AMERICAN BULLSHIT (the 2010 Black List spec script by Eric Warren Singer) and the film it became… AMERICAN HUSTLE (co-written and directed by David O’Russell), which garnered 10 Oscar nominations in 2014.
With both Singer and O’Russell credited on HUSTLE, Stu and Chas explore what O’Russell changed and what stayed the same from BULLSHIT. By comparing the spec with the eventual on-screen product, Stu and Chas gain valuable insights into the re-writing process: character, theme, voice over, back story and more.
- The Q&A Podcast with Jeff Goldsmith – The 7th Annual Screenwriting Nominees
- AMERICAN BULLSHIT by Eric Warren Singer – FOR EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY
- AMERICAN HUSTLE by Eric Warren Singer and David O. Russell – FOR EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY
- DGA Quarterly: Picturing Life – The DGA Interview: David O. Russell
- Line by Line: No passive verbs! by Khrob Edmonds
Please send feedback to ask at draft-zero.com. Please considering rating us on iTunes!