INT. EPISODE 1 – NIGHT
Do Oscar-Nominated screenwriters follow the structural formulas prescribed by the ‘gurus’ and books?
Stu and Chas analyse two screenplays nominated for Academy Awards in 2014 – PHILOMENA and DALLAS BUYERS CLUB – to see whether they follow the structural theories espoused by Blake Snyder, Michael Hauge and Christopher Vogler.
- PHILOMENA Screenplay by Steve Coogan and Jeff Pope
- The Q&A Podcast with Jeff Goldsmith – Philomena
- DALLAS BUYERS CLUB screenplay by Craig Borten and Melisa Wallack
- The Q&A Podcast with Jeff Goldsmith – Dallas Buyers Club
- THE FIVE KEY TURNING POINTS OF ALL SUCCESSFUL SCRIPTS by Michael Hauge
- Michael Hauge on the High Concept Movie (YouTube)
- SAVE THE CAT BEATSHEET by Blake Snyder
- THE WRITER’S JOURNEY STRUCTURE by Christopher Vogler
- Ingrid’s Notes on THE WRITER’S JOURNEY
- SM Worth links to a few different Scrivener Templates including one for the Hero’s Journey.
- John Castle writes about using Scrivener and Save The Cat; and even offers his Save The Cat template for download.
- We should probably link to Scrivener as well then.
Please send feedback to ask at draft-zero.com.